9 Things You Should Know About Katy Perry Right Now
"It’s a departure, and it’s a necessary evolution that I have to take
From Katy Perry’s new interview with New York Times, here are some interesting things you should know about;
1. Katy threw back a few drinks and held hands with Lady Gaga to soften the blow after Hillary Clinton lost the election.
2. But she hasn’t had a drink since January 15.
3. She believes there’s a “strange race to be the most woke.”
“They want you to stand for something, but once you do, and if you don’t do it perfectly, they’re ready to take you right down.”
4. She felt like hypersexualizing her image was the only option early on in her career.
“I used to be scared of intimacy, I used to use my sexualization as attention, I used to over-sexualize myself because that was the only way I knew how.”
5. Daddy issues and Donald Trump led to her changing her perspective on her sexuality.
She credits making amends with her father for her “full sexual liberation.” “The reality is that I was re-triggered on the election. I was re-triggered by a big male that didn’t see women as equal. And that had been, unfortunately, a common theme in my upbringing.”
6. When she needs a friend to talk to about public image, Sia is her person. Sia wrote this about Katy:
I think she’s presently challenging old held beliefs about herself and that even in this day and age, cutting all your hair off and having an opinion is NOT WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT. They would prefer you to make cute pop and to stay in your lane. I hide behind my wig, while she is out there taking bullets for the rest of us … The less brave … you know?
7. She said, “All the awards shows are fake and all the awards that I’ve won are fake. They’re constructs.
“Katy believes award shows don’t fully represent the music audience.
8. The ‘old’ Katy Perry is still alive and kicking. She’s not dead.
“I didn’t kill her, because I love her, and she is exactly what I had to do then. And I’m not a con artist, I didn’t con people, like, that was just me. And this is me now.”
9. And despite everything, Katy is happy about this new chapter in her life, even if people don’t understand it.
“It’s a departure, and it’s a necessary evolution that I have to take. And I know that sometimes it feels publicly like I’m dragging cement blocks, but like, the pyramids were made out of cement blocks—or not cement. But do you know what I’m trying to say? I’m gonna get there.”